Saturday 30 June 2012

Wychwood Hobgoblin

Today's beer: Hobgoblin by Wychwood

Today is another double beer day. I had intended to have another WheatKing, but I went to buy a Innis & Guinn Canada Day special edition to drink tomorrow, but the liquor store I went to (not my usual one) didn't have any. Despite not having the beer I went there to get, I came back home with 6 more beers, including a Special Reserve 16 of Ola Dubh. I will be reviewing that with in the next few days. I'm looking forward to see how it compares to the Special Reserve 12. Hobgoblin has always been a favourite of mine. It was among the first "specialty" beers I had. I have looked at picking it up again several times at my local store, but always turned away for some reason.

Hobgoblin pours into the glass with virtually no head. It's a ruby brown in colour. My first sniff revealed the smell of orange peel and hops. Hobgoblin has a slightly fruity flavour with well balanced hops and malt. There is also a slight hint of both chocolate and something else, perhaps toffee. It has a relatively low carbonation, but that's fine, a beer doesn't need a lot of carbonation to be good.

Hobgoblin is an English beer and they have an advertising campaign which reads: "What's the matter lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?" Which I believes embodies this beer perfectly.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment