Wednesday 6 June 2012

Phillips Dr. Funk

Today's beer: Dr. Funk by Phillips

So today I was feeling like a good, dark beer. A nice thick stout. The only trouble was the stouts that I have are 650ml, and I didn't feel like having that much beer. There were a few other non-stout beers in my fridge that caught my eye, but again, they were rather big. I've had the Dr. Funk before, but I didn't remember anything about it. All I could hope was that it would take care of that craving for stout.

This beer is dark. Very dark, not quite black, but a very dark brown.  My initial sniff revealed a nutty smell. There is also a very faint smell of chocolate. My first sip revealed the taste of chocolate and a touch of burnt caramel. As well there is a solid nutty taste. The taste is almost that of hazelnut but not quite. Dr. Funk has a generous helping of malt with just a touch of hops. There also seems to be a rather large taste of alcohol, but this seems to help balance all the other flavours out.

Even though it didn't satisfy my craving for a stout, it is quite a good beer in its own right.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment