Thursday 7 June 2012

Alley Kat Black Dragon

Today's beer: Black Dragon by Alley Kat

Black Dragon is a double IPA and as such is seriously hopy. It's also got a pretty decent alcohol content at 7.5% This is one of the beers I was considering last night, but I didn't want to drink this much last night. Tonight, however, it was just right.

As I said Black Dragon is a double IPA and says it has a 70+ IBU (International Bitterness Unit) rating. It's also made only with a single hop variant: Warrior Hops. I did a bit of checking and discovered that Black Dragon is part of the Dragon series by Alley Kat, which features Red, Green, Blue and Black. Each is a single variant hops double IPA. I'd like to try them all, but it looks like each was a limited release and so the earlier ones might no longer be available. I'll  have to check with the beer guy at CSN to see if they can be ordered in. If they can, I'll definitely be reviewing them.

The colour of this beer is quite similar to a wheat ale, a cloudy golden yellow. Unsurprisingly, the main smell I got was that of hops. Surprisingly there was a very faint smell of grass too. This beer is all hops with very little malt. Due to the massive amount of hops this beer is quite bitter, but the bitterness, unlike the Piper's Gold (my first review), doesn't overwhelm everything else. While dominant, I did also faintly detect the taste of pepper. The only bad thing I would say about this beer is the lack of other flavours. If they were able to somehow introduce at least another flavour into the beer, perhaps pine or citrus, it would make it much better. This beer would be perfect for enjoying outside on a hot day.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment