Friday 15 June 2012

Wold Top Against The Grain

Today's beer: Against The Grain by Wold Top

I wanted to have a drink with my dad today so we went to the beer store since I didn't think he'd appreciate most of the beers I have in my fridge. I told him to pick a beer that he'd like to drink. He picked up Against The Grain. My dad no longer eats gluten. In fact the only gluten he allows himself is the occasional beer. Now I know there are gluten free beers out there, but it's been his experience that for the most part they are sub-par, and some are virtually undrinkable. Against The Grain is a gluten free beer that is a cut above the rest. On the label it says that it has less than 3 parts per million of gluten. It also says that its gluten content is certified at less than 20ppm. Instead of using the standard barley malt, corn is used.

 In the glass the beer is very very light in colour. Most other corn beers are generally fairly light, but I was quite surprised at just how light this one was. My first sniff yielded the smell of apples which was quite interesting. I've had beers that give a hint of apple or other fruit, but this was a very strong smell, almost as strong as apple juice. There is a faint taste of apples in the beer. There is a nice hit of hops. Not a lot of hops but just enough to give the beer a nice crisp flavour. This is a very drinkable beer and I would recommend it to anyone, even if they aren't allergic to gluten. This isn't just a good gluten free beer, this is a good beer period. I had a bit of difficulty in rating this beer, wavering between 3.5 and 4.


Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment