Tuesday 5 June 2012

Shmaltz Human Blockhead

Today's beer: Human Blockhead by Shmaltz

Human Blockhead is part of the Coney Island set of beers brewed by Shmaltz.  Human Blockhead is touted as an Imperial American Bock. I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what a bock is, but if they taste like this, I think I'll like them.

In the glass Human Blockhead is a red-copper colour with a very small head. I took a whiff and couldn't detect much smell. What I did smell, I'm still trying to identify. I wanted to say there was a smell of caramel, but that's not quite it. My first sip brought hints of spice. There was also a great deal of malt with a nice touch of hops. There is a large hit of alcohol with this beer. In fact there is, in my opinion, too much alcohol in the beer. While most strong beers top out at 8% or 9%, Human Blockhead comes in at 10%. And you can taste every one of those percent. 10% is too much for this beer, it would be better off with an 8% or perhaps even an 8.5%. After a few sips, the taste of alcohol becomes more prevalent and detracts from the overall quality of the beer. If it weren't for that massive taste of alcohol, this would be a highly rated beer at 4.5.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment