Monday 30 July 2012

Phillips Ginger Beer

Today's beer: Ginger Beer by Phillips

Today is a hot day here, and I had been planing on doing a head-to-head comparison of Phillips Ginger Beer and Crabbies Ginger Beer. However, my local beer store hasn't had any Crabbies in stock for several months. As a result, I'm going to have to do the two reviews separately. Since they have Phillips in stock, and I had some Phillips in my fridge chilling nicely for just such an occasion, on with the review!

Phillips Ginger Beer pours into the glass a golden amber colour with a medium-large white head. My first whiff picks up smells of hops and a hint of ginger. My first sip reveals the hops up front with a taste of ginger with earthy overtones. While there is the taste of ginger, it isn't that strong, and the earthy overtones make the ginger less noticeable. It's kind of like pulling a carrot out of the garden and biting into it with out first rinsing it. Sure you get the carrot taste, but you also get the taste of the earth it was grown in. Perhaps if a different variety of ginger were to be used, it might make this Ginger Beer better. The beer does have a bit of a bite to it though, it just takes a while for it to kick in. As it stands, while a decent ginger beer, I'm sure that there are other ginger beers out there that are just as good, if not better than this one.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

1 comment:

  1. It dose indeed have a nice bite to it after a bit. Some people may miss the sweetness of others though.

    ReplyDelete