Wednesday 10 October 2012

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Today's beer: Double Chocolate Stout by Young's

Today, Calgary (where I live) reminded everybody that just because the weather has been nice the last few weeks, it's not going to be so for long. Today was a cold day. There was rain in the late morning, changing to snow in the early afternoon with heavier snow late in the evening. A cold, miserable day? I can't think of a better day for a nice rich, thick stout. I picked this one up today after passing it over many, many times at my beer store. When I asked the beer guy about it, he didn't know anything about it; he'd done the same thing.

Double Chocolate Stout pours into the glass a rich dark brown, becoming opaque black in the glass, just as a proper stout should be. A large, medium brown  head forms but disintegrates fairly fast to a thin tan head that covers the surface of the beer. My first sniff revealed the rich smell of toasted malt and some chocolate overtones. I also detected the faint smell of caramel. My first sip hit me with a massive dose of chocolate. It isn't milk chocolate, but more like a bitter/very dark (70%+ cocoa) chocolate. Very nice. There is also the taste of toasted malt in the background, but it is a distant second fiddle to the chocolate. There are virtually no hops tastes to speak of with this beer; malt and chocolate dominate. After finishing about half my glass, I began to notice an almost fruit like flavour along the side of my tongue. Possibly figs. Double Chocolate Stout is very smooth and it has a decent amount of carbonation. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment