Wednesday 31 October 2012

Elysian Night Owl

Today's beer: Night Owl by Elysian

I picked this up at the same time I picked up the 4 pack of Wychwood. I thought it would be nice to try another pumpkin ale after having had the Alley Kat Pumpkin Pie Ale. Again, this being Halloween night, it was the perfect time to have it, and since I'd already split the Wychwood (and the Alley Kat, though a few weeks ago) with my dad, I figured another beer couldn't hurt.

Night Owl pours into the glass an orangey copper colour with a small light orange head. Night Owl give off a very spicy smell with the smell of cloves being prominent among the spices. There is also the smell of pumpkin. My first sip gave me a large taste of both pumpkin and spice. There is just a faint touch of hops as well as a light touch of alcohol. Rather than detracting from the beer, the slight taste of alcohol really makes this beer stand out. There is a lot of spice in this beer, and unlike the Alley Kat, in which the spice was a warm spice blend, the Night Owl spice blend is not warm. They could have reduced the amount of the spices a bit, in my opinion. My dad really liked the Night Owl, in fact he preferred it to the Alley Kat Pumpkin Pie Ale.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment