Thursday 24 May 2012

Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot

Today's beer: Wilco Tango Foxtrot by Lagunitas

I like to ask the beer guy at my local liquor store (CSN) for suggestions. He knows his beer and he knows what I like. He also encourages me to try beers that I may have otherwise passed on. He strongly encouraged me to pick up the Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF), and I'm glad he did.

On the label, WTF describes itself as "A Malty, Robust, Jobless Recovery Ale". The first thing that hit me when I took a sniff was a smell black pepper with the standard beer smell as an undertone. This beer has a very complex taste with pepper/spice being at the forefront and a slightly fruity undertone. There is a slight taste and after taste of citrus. As I drank more, another flavour began to present itself: pine. I know it sounds weird, but it adds a whole new level to the beer.

I found that WTF has nice robust hops that are carefully balanced by the malt. My dad, who I shared the beer with, said it reminded him of Arrogant Bastard (a beer I tried once, long ago and is unfortunately not available here). With some beers, the alcohol taste is right upfront, in others it slips in, and in some you can hardly taste it. Such is the case with WTF, which is rather surprising given that it is 7.85%. This beer is very satisfying at the end of a long day.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment