Tuesday 15 May 2012

Hacker-Pschorr Weisse

Today's beer: Weisse by Hacker-Pschorr

After the Avalanche earlier today, I felt like another warm weather beer. I picked this one up with warm weather in mind, so I figured I might as well give it a try too.

Weisse is described as a traditional wheat ale. I've had a few wheat ales and for the most part they have been good and most have had a generous helping of hops. Weisse is notable for its lack of hops. Although it has the classic cloudiness of a wheat ale, that's where the similarity ends. Weisse is much darker than the other wheat ales I've had, but each one had it's own distinctive colouring and darker doesn't mean better or worse.

Taking a whiff of the freshly poured beer I caught the distinctive smell of fruit. Not as much as the Blood Alley, or the same kind, but still distinctive. It also, like Blood Alley, has the taste of fruit, but again, different fruit and significantly less of it. There seems to be almost no hops in the beer and what hops there are are mostly hidden by the malt. As I drank more of it, the fruit overtones seemed to change and meld, though the hops remained muted. It really is a shame about the lack of hops. If they put more hops into this beer, I could see it becoming a truly great beer. However with the hops so far in the background I fear this beer is relegated to be only mediocre.

Rating:





May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment