Tuesday 15 May 2012

Fyne Ales Avalanche

Today's beer: Avalanche by Fyne Ales
Described on the label as a straw coloured well hopped ale.

So it's currently almost 30 degrees here and when I looked in my fridge last night for a beer that could cool me down as I knew today was going to be a warm one. I had a few beers in my fridge, but the only one that came close was Phillips Hopperation Triple Cross and I wasn't sure that was going to cut it. So I ended up picking up some more beers on the way home from work, gee life's tough.

Even with the failure of Piper's Gold, with remembrances of Maverick (which I will review, I promise) I still had high hopes for Avalanche. Avalanche poured into the glass straw coloured, just as advertised. It was a nice cloudy yellow rather like a white ale. With the fist sip, the hops hit right upfront, announcing that you're in hop country. Like the Piper's Gold, it has a definite bitter component but unlike Piper's Gold, the bitterness is not overwhelming. The bitterness of the hops is nicely counterpointed by the malt. I noticed a very, very slight hint of citrus at the back of my tongue, but it's almost non-existent.

As I drank the Avalanche I did notice that the carbonation was quite light, this isn't a detraction, just an observation. The other thing I noticed was the taste of hops stuck around for a while. I was drinking in slow sips with pauses in between each one, enjoying the heat of the day, and the hops lasted until my next sip. Not in a bad way, but enough to remind you that this is a hoppy beer.

Rating:






May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment