Friday 11 May 2012

Fyne Ales Piper's Gold

Today's beer: Piper's Gold by Fyne Ales. Described on the label as a bitter golden pale ale. Alcohol content: 3.8%

When I picked this brew up today I was quite hopeful for it, as I've already tried their Maverick ale (to be revisited and reviewed in a later post) and found it quite good. Piper's Gold on the other hand was not so good.

My first impression when I poured it into the glass was how yellow it was. It looks like a cross between a lager and a pale ale. It was more cloudy than a lager, but not so cloudy that you can't see through it like a pale ale. The first thing I thought when I took a sip was 'wow, this tastes a lot like Moose Head.' Then the bitters kicked in. Wow does it have a lot of bitters. As I said before I like a bitter beer, but this beer seems to take it to another level. After the first few mouthfuls all I could taste was the bitter. This is not a hops kind of bitter, but something completely different. If you like a really bitter beer, then this is the beer for you. If you don't like a bitter beer stay far far away from this beer.

 I really would like to be able to give this beer 3/5 glasses, but the bitterness really overwhelms the other characters of the beer.
Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment