Friday 30 November 2012

Fuller's ESB

Today's beer: ESB by Fuller's

Today has been another damp, dark, rainy day. A day that would be perfect for a good hardy stout. However, having fish and chips for supper, I was left with a craving for something a bit lighter. I did briefly consider a few of the lagers I have in my fridge, but kept coming back to the ESB. Perhaps it was the fact that I had had English style fish and chips that was influencing my decision. I've had ESB before, but that was before I started this blog. Oh the torture of having to drink a beer again to review it.

ESB pours into the glass an amber/copper colour with a moderate off white head. My first sniff revealed the classic odour of hops. Considering ESB stands for Extra Special Bitter, this comes as no surprise. As an ESB, it does have more than the standard alcohol that most English beers seem to have; it comes in at a solid 5.9%. The hops hit me with my first sip, but they are not overwhelming. There is also a flavour of apples and something I tentatively identify as sour cherry, though I'm not sure. There isn't a great deal of malt in ESB, but there is enough to keep the hops from being overwhelming, but not really enough to taste. ESB is a very crisp beer and easy to drink. It would have gone great with my fish and chips.

Rating:




May your glass always be full of good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment